|1 lbs||frozen carrots|
|1||2 to 3 inch piece of fresh ginger|
|1/2 tsp||five-spice powder|
|2 cups||carrot juice|
|1 lbs||tofu (medium or firm)|
|1/2 cup||corn starch|
|1.5 tbsp||curry powder|
|1 cup||chicken or vegetable stock|
|3 inch cube||grated ginger|
|2 tbsp||soy sauce|
|1 tbsp||lemon juice|
|1 tbsp||curry powder|
|1 tbsp||garlic powder|
- Press tofu (cut into slices, sit it between two towels, and set something heavy on top; leave for 30 minutes). Cube it. Marinate it in the describe marinade.
- Meanwhile, heat oil at medium heat. Add vegetables, cook until just becoming soft, about five minutes. Add five-spice, carrot juice, stock, and water. Season with salt and pepper to taste, then simmer until tender (about 20 minutes).
- Dry the tofu. Mix corn starch and curry powder, then coat the tofu with it. Over high heat, shallow fry tofu in batches until crispy.
- After soup is done simmering, blend with an immersion blender (or carefully add to a normal blender and blend in batches). Ladle into bowls and top with the fried tofu.
- Marinade is work in progress. The dish is fine without, but the tofu is flavorless since it has no time to absorb the flavors from the soup.